Tuesday 22 March 2011

The Monster Parsnip

I finally decided it was time to dust off the gardening gloves and head back into the Cottontails garden yesterday.

I'm afraid it's been more or less ignored since I wrote my last post here in October and it is in a bit of a sorry state.

But clearly some activity has been happening out there over the winter as something rather massive was just poking out through the earth...

An extraordinarily large parsnip!




Anyway, massive root vegetables aside, I made good progress by weeding and digging over the herb / salad bed.


No sign of the 'overwintering' peas and beans that I planted in October. Should they be shooting up by now?

Will try and do a bit more later today, and in the meantime any recipes for a monster parsnip would be gratefully received...

6 comments:

Sue said...

I had some overwintering cabbages....well I thought I did...not a sign of them... :-(

Is the monster parsnip edible?

Sue xx

Charlotte said...

Not sure - it is still languishing in the veg patch at the moment. I hope so though. I am thinking soup and parsnip crisps. Lots of them. xx

Rebecca said...

woo, that is a huge parsnip! My mum makes a delicious soup with parsnips and carrots, it's the only way i'll ever eat them! It has been a lovely few days for being out in the garden xx

Annette Tait said...

goodness me Charlotte! that is one BIG parsnip! will do Wesley for at least a year!!

Bumpkin Hill said...

I must do the same out in my garden, like you it's hard to find the time! You did better with your parsnips, mine were the tiniest on record! We are off for a week to re-charge batteries on Fridaym may be mad but we are going to Egypt on the Red Sea, got such a good last minute deal! Wish us safety :) Catherine x

Sarah said...

Now that's one humungous parsnip!

I would be thinking soup too! I always find it amazing how sweet tasting parsips are.

Hugs, Sarah x