Tuesday 24 August 2010

Harvesting carrots... and a garden pest


Time for a spot of carrot harvesting in the Cottontails garden this weekend - much to the delight of the bunnies of course.

Along with normal carrots we have grown some special little Parmex Carrots - stumpy round ones. These especially appealed to baby Sylvain rabbit - it can be outfacing to a little bunny when the carrot is bigger than him.



The bunnies ate what they could but even rabbits have a carrot limit, so plenty have been washed, chopped, blanched and frozen for the winter.


Meanwhile, we have been a bit anxious about our purple prouting broccoli as something has been nibbling the leaves.



Finally got a glimpse of the culprit - this little insect here was spotted chomping away. A-ha! I thought Florimond bee was getting fatter!!



And finally here is Humphrey sandwiched between the basil and oregano. He is enjoying harvest very much.


8 comments:

Sue said...

Haha....I bet he is.

Love the little round carrots, they would be brilliant whole in stews and casseroles, I'll be looking out for those for next year I think.

Looks like you have Cabbage Whites eating your leaves too (as well as the little Bee of course). My last crops have been decimated by them, fit only for the pigs and chickens now.

Sue xx

Christina said...

Are you in there tasting inspector Humphrey?

Sarah said...

I love those carrots too! Will tell my other half about them and try and get some seed next year.

Our guinea pigs are loving our carrot tops, bet Humphrey is too ;)

Hugs, Sarah x

Bumpkin Hill said...

Hi Charlotte, just back from UK having had a jam packed week. I think Humphrey has a lot of self restraint not eating allll those yummy carrots! Hugs, Catherine x

The Little Cloth Rabbit said...

Thank you Charlotte! Hope alls well with you? xx

Pipany said...

I love the picks of bunnies in the veg patch! Will have to try those carrots next year x

LissyLou said...

just had a browse through your shop...theres some lovely new things there Charlotte xx

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Charlotte, you must think me very rude! So sorry - I have been amazingly distracted of late and today is my first foray back into my lovely Lane. How delighted I am to see your message and to find myself recommended by you! Wowzers Trousers, such a thrill, thank you so so much!

The site looks lovely and Humphrey as soft and beautiful as ever. I expect you are gearing up for the " season to be......." as I am - scary how quickly it comes around. Did you go to Top Drawer? Did you see the felt Scandi Chic robbins? I thought of us and our Mary Lennox appreciation society!

thanks again Charlotte for you kindness,

Love Sarah x