Thursday 29 November 2012

Goodbye Humphrey

 


I always knew that one day I would have to write this post, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Just over three weeks ago, dear Humphrey passed away.

I haven't felt able to write about it until now, needing a bit of time to come to terms with it by myself.

You know that thing where, when people are nice to you, you kind of fall apart? Well what with it being the build up to Christmas, and me working on my own, I had to try and keep it together, so couldn't risk a blog post opening the floodgates really.

Some of you may have noticed a bit of a lull in posts on here, Facebook, Twitter a little while ago... well that was me just not knowing what to say. It seemed ridiculous to be writing about advent calenders and pixies when I had just lost my precious little friend...

I don't have children. Humphrey meant the world to me. He worked with me in the office, sat with me on the sofa in the evenings and slept on the landing at night. Well, okay, sometimes on the bed.

Over the nine years I had him we did lots together. We moved house three times, closed the shop, went on holiday together. And he has seen me through some really difficult stuff.

He had been unwell for a few months. His teeth had started to grow a bit oddly - so common in bunnies - and sharp points were forming and causing painful mouth ulcers for him. It meant he couldn't eat properly. Thank God I have a wonderful, wonderful vet (and insurance) so we were able to keep him going for a while longer, with little dental operations. But the last one, well he just didn't recover properly. He was starting to suffer and I couldn't help him. He didn't want to eat, even his most favourite things, it was heart breaking. So, on the 7th November, I made the decision to say goodbye. He died it my arms at the vets at 5.30pm.

He is now buried in the garden outside. I am going to plant some bulbs there for the spring.

So, there we are.

I have written the blog post I was dreading.

I have so, so many happy memories from the last nine years, and too many photos I want to share, so I have put together a little film with some of my favourite pictures and clips. I've been working at it, on and off, for a couple of weeks, it has been a really nice thing to do and has helped me a bit.




If this video doesn't work, this link should take you directly to the film on YouTube -  http://youtu.be/xgTX_bwaj7E

Cottontails is not the same without him, and of course there will be another bunny in time. Probably in the New Year. Definitely a rescue rabbit. It's just the way it goes with our little pets isn't it.

And until then I will try to resume posts and also to share news on the ducks and the goats, not quite so cuddly and they never sleep in the bed, but of course I love them too :)

20 comments:

Sue said...

Oh Charlotte, I'm so sorry. I could say lots of wonderful words, for there would be so many to write about your gorgeous little companion, member of Cottontails staff and best friend, but I'll just say 'RIP Humphrey....you were the best'.

Whichever little rescue bunny is lucky enough to come to live with you will be watched over by your constant companion of the last nine years, only the best will sit next to him in your heart.

(I've not watched your little film yet, the tears are falling just reading the words, I'll have a watch later.)

Prayers and Hugs for you and Humphrey.

Sue xx

Leaff Design said...

Charlotte, what can I say... I'm heart broken. Your video was so beautiful it had me sobbing my eyes out at my desk - and I don't mean a few tears, I mean a small pile of tissues. We both feel completely honoured to have met Humphrey and known for ourselves how special he really was. I'm going to have to email you the rest of my thoughts, but hold on to those precious, precious memories - he couldn't have had a better home or life than that which he had with you xxx

Lyndsey said...

Oh no, Charlotte! Poor Humphrey, poor you :(
I hope you start to feel better in time but I know it will be difficult for a long while.
I know exactly how you feel and you have my full sympathy.
Many many hugs
Lyndsey
xx

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I really liked him. Sweet bunny.
God bless you, friend.

Cheryl said...

Sharing your loss all the way from California, dear Charlotte. I'm crying at my desk too. He was so blessed to have you as a "fur mom."

What a lovely song. Do you mind sharing the name and artist? It was perfect for this video.

All the best to you,
Cheryl xx

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Bright mutton chopped Bunny, Humphrey will be missed world wide, hugs to his family who must somehow continue on without him.

Charlotte said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who has left such lovely, lovely comments. It means so much to me. I'm sorry if I've had everyone in tears though (although I too have spent most of today falling apart..) Talking (writing) about him after three weeks of silence is so nice, but it does hurt.

Cheryl, I am really glad you liked the song. It's by Mindy Smith and is called One Moment More, from an album of the same name. I bought it about four years ago, and would often play it in the office with Humphrey. I kind of knew that song would be one that would always remind me of him, even years before...

C xx

Scout and Sage said...

(Sniffles) He was such a handsome, loving, charmer! They're never with us long enough and the holes in our hearts are five times their size.. Our little long eared angels.

Bumpkin Hill said...

Dear Charlotte, i know just how special he was and always will be in your heart. Arrived here in uk today. Sending the biggest hugs, c xx

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Tears....I'm so sorry Charlotte. He was such a beautiful boy. Sending lots and lots of hugs for your heart.
xx

LissyLou said...

I have years in my eyes. Everyone could see how much he ment to you. What a lovely owner Humphrey had. Lots of love x

Sarah said...

Oh Charlotte. I'm so very sorry. He couldn't have had a better life, he really couldn't. Sending the biggest hugs. Sleep well little man.

Sarah x

Christina said...

I am so very sorry to read this news.

Godspeed sweet Humphrey, I am a little late but I will light a candle for you.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'm so sorry that Humphrey's gone.... He was such a handsome gentle bunny. The slide show is lovely, a very sweet tribute to him.

The Little Cloth Rabbit said...

Oh Charlotte! I'm in tears :( I lost my Millie a while ago & still havn't been able to blog about it. I rescued a new friend for George but very sadly she died a few weeks later. I really know what you are going through.

Don't forget, little Humphrey had the best Mummy ever & the best life ever :)

Em x

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

There is nothing like a heart bunny. I'm glad Humphrey will live on in Juliet's story, as he will in your heart.

Annette Tait said...

what a beautiful tribute to such a handsome lucky blessed chap Charlotte :)
I love the pics of you and Humphrey in the summer garden, and you in your red dress holding him! so beautiful, so loving!
sending our love from Scotland and that every time you think of Humphrey you feel his soft heartbeat against yours with all that love, he will always be close beside you :)
love always Annette and Wesley xxx

Annette Tait said...

what a beautiful tribute to such a handsome lucky blessed chap Charlotte :)
I love the pics of you and Humphrey in the summer garden, and you in your red dress holding him! so beautiful, so loving!
sending our love from Scotland and that every time you think of Humphrey you feel his soft heartbeat against yours with all that love, he will always be close beside you :)
love always Annette and Wesley xxx

Julia Logie said...

Dear Charlotte,
So sorry to hear the news about Humphrey.
I logged on today to check how things are, as you had been quiet for a while.
Such sad news, but at least you will cherish some beautiful memories.
Thinking of you.

Julia L xxx

dappled days said...

Oh dear, I know just how much it hurts to lose a beloved bunny friend.I am sorry for your loss. Humphrey looks like he was an absolutely amazing bun and I can understand why you miss him sorely.
It sounds like he had a wonderful long and happy life with you and over time when the sadness ebbs, you will have many warm memories to make you smile.
Meanwhile I'm sending you a heartfelt hug xxx
and I shall be visiting your geogeous shop before Easter..