Monday 30 April 2012

The goats are here!


Just a quick little post - between parcel packing and bottle-feeding - to let you know the goats are here!

Meet Rufus, 10 months old, a neutered goatling. He is what is knows as an AOV (any other variety) or 'scrub goat'. Pretty basic, as goats go, but he is adorable - very gentle and affectionate.

 

And Emma and Eve are just five and six weeks old respectively and are Anglo-Nubian pure breed goats. They have marvelous ears!



I am bottle feeding the girls so it's a lot of work and early mornings, but I love it.

 


Goats really can't stand getting wet so the weather has not been ideal for their first few days, but I have managed to take Rufus out for a few walks between rainstorms. He has already decimated some raspberry canes and the lower branches of an apple tree. Starting as he means to go on :)

The next post will involve Cottontails and some toys, I promise, but in the meantime don't forget we do have wooden goats and barns for sale... and the bonus is that these goats don't need feeding at 7.30am!

 
 (I really must get myself a farmer's wife style headscarf...)



8 comments:

Sue said...

Well....now you're a full time Mummy!!

Enjoy, they'll love you forever after all this feeding and love.

Sue xx

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh wonderful, enjoy! And yes the girls do have wonderful ears!

Scout and Sage said...

Every summer I get to babysit my best friend's hobby farm -- I love her goats! They're friendly, happy, playful, wonderful creatures. So much personality!

Tho I do have to ask -- what are the earrings the ladies are wearing on their english lop like ears? :)

Annette Tait said...

Rufus is so beautiful! Love the photo of you and Rufus together Charlotte! and Emma and Eve are so adorable :)
what a beautiful choice and decision you made to have these 'kids' in your life! so lovely!!!

Annette Tait said...

Rufus is so beautiful! Love the photo of you and Rufus together Charlotte! and Emma and Eve are so adorable :)
what a beautiful choice and decision you made to have these 'kids' in your life! so lovely!!!

Charlotte said...

Ah, Lorna, the earrings! I'm afraid they are a legal requirement over hear - goats are classed as livestock so even if you have just one pet goat it has to be registered with DEFRA and every animal has to have two identifiers - can be ear tags or tattoos or electronic tags (although at least one of them has to be visible and readable). And you should have seen the paperwork I had to complete before they came on to our land... anyone would think I am planning to launch some kind of full on dairy farm. (I am not!!) x

Lisa Alto said...

Oh Charlotte how exciting. And those girls are particularly gorgeous! (a bit like lop rabbits hee hee!) my hubby is desperate to get goats, but we live in a residential area with only an 80foot garden. Pretty big, but not enough for goats. So he puts up with chickens, rabbits and takes our son to the city farm at every opportunity!
Enjoy!

Sarah said...

Oh Charlotte! Now I have goat envy! They are wonderful! Sigh.

We are still building our duck hut and run. Weather is delaying things rather :(

Hugs, Sarah x