Tuesday 6 September 2011

Amedee and the Runner Ducks

We have recently acquired three runner ducklings. Well, I say ducklings, they are eight weeks old now and pretty much fully grown. They are beautiful.



They live at the farm we are moving to and we go down twice a day to feed, water and visit them.

We will be digging them a pond soon, but for now they are splashing around in washing up bowls. Apparently this is all they need, but having seen how much they love to play in the water (not to mention the dreadful mess they make!) a pond is now a must.


Of course they are not my first ducks. Amedee duck has been here at Cottontails for many years now. And last week I decided it was time for him to meet his feathered family...











The runner ducks were a little unsure of Amedee - I don't think they have seen a duck in dungarees before? But I will take him down for regular visits and I'm sure they will all be splashing around together very soon.

So watch this space for many more duck stories..........

7 comments:

Bumpkin Hill said...

Hi Charlotte, great to have you back, I hope you had a nice break. I've been waiting to see your beautiful ducks and they are even more gorgeous than I imagined, oh I want to play too :) Catherine x

Crafty Green Poet said...

how cute! The young ducks are beautiful!

Will Amadee be starring in a Cottontails version of Autumnwatch later this year?

The Little Cloth Rabbit said...

Hello to your new ducks! And congratulations on your new farm! How exciting :)

Sarah said...

Oh, my goodness. I've come here for a mutual 'catch up' and find you've just got what I've been thinking of getting for some time. Runner ducks! How strange is that?!

We still have our 9 chickens. I don't think I have the brain power for ducks at the moment, but maybe one day ;)

I am so green that you are moving to a farm. Sigh.

Hugs, Sarah x

m said...

They are so cute! Love them! I got to call ducks this summer for my birthday and I just LOVE them. However they do make the most awful mess ever !! I have them in with my chickens, whom I thought were messy enough, but now my garden is looking like a swamp! I dread to think what it will be like int he winter. But they are just so cute to watch.

Scented Sweetpeas said...

aahh that is such a cute post, ducks have such lovely characters don't they.

Sarah said...

aha. so no reason to not get ducks in with my chickens then. I have a washing up bowl...!