Wednesday 3 December 2008

Ragley Hall

Every so often, in a fit of misguided enthusiasm, I find myself agreeing to take part in a gift fair... Typically this involves taking some stock along to an organised 'shopping event' - usually held in a public hall or country house - setting up a little stand and selling things. That's the idea anyway. The reality is that these events are never, ever worthwhile for me and I usually make a loss.

Well, it's been a while since the last one and the memory of standing for hours on end, smiling benignly at people wandering by, had faded sufficiently for me to agree to take part in a fair at Ragley Hall this weekend just gone. And guess what...? It was a disaster! Oh, it was a nice enough set up - lovely location, lots of nice stands and actually quite a lot of people. But nobody ever seems to buy anything from me! I have no idea where I go wrong, and can only think that it's a confidence thing... I'm not very good at 'selling' things, absolutely hate the idea of pushing things onto people... so I just stand there smiling!

Ah well, maybe I'll learn my lesson this time and say no to the next one! One good thing to come out of it was that I came across some lovely vintage style jewellery handmade by a lady in Coventry. I treated myself to a ring for £10 - and in doing so pretty much spent the weekend's profit in one go! Have a look at her website at www.helenwoodward.co.uk

No comments: